Plan Ahead this Summer
Frozen Celery Pesto
When celery (the real kind with lots of fresh green leaves) is in season…
Chop the entire head of celery and place it in a food processor.
Whirl it until it looks like
Add: 3/4 cup of good olive oil
Pour into ice cube trays and freeze.
Once frozen, pop them out and store in a labeled and dated ziplock bag.
When you want to make a good soup or sauce in the winter you’ll have the taste of fresh celery in your freezer.
Save the rinds!
Cut them into small cubes and store in a jar in the freezer. Place a few in the bottom of a soup bowl and ladle hot soup over the top. A fun little surprise at the bottom of the bowl. It’s cheese candy!
Italian Wedding Soup
- 2 quarts homemade chicken stock
- 2-3 bell peppers (red & green) diced
- 1 cup diced celery (the more leaves the better) (or 2 cubes of frozen pureed celery –see side note)
- 2 onions-diced
- 2 cups carrots-fine dice or julienne
- 1.5 lbs Italian sausage (or less)
- 2 large bunches of Braised Kale
- 2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 cup basil pesto
- 1 Tbs. dried oregano
- 1 Tbs. dried basil (1/2 cup fresh if it’s in season)
- 3 Bay leaves
- 5 garlic cloves-minced
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil: add pasta
- Cook until al dente
- Drain and toss w/ basil pesto.
- Keep reserved in a separate bowl.
- Cook the Italian sausage and drain the fat.
In your stock pot:
Sauté the onions until they smell sweet. 15 min or more
- Carrots, celery and bell peppers
- Oregano, bay leaves, dried basil and garlic
- Continue to sauté for 10more min.
- cooked sausage
- 2 quarts rich homemade chicken stock
Bring the entire pot to a boil, turn down and simmer for 40 min.
Place a few Reggiano cubes in the bottom of the soup bowl.
Spoon 1/2 cup pasta in the bottom of the bowl.
Fill bowl with hot soup and top with fresh shredded Reggiano.
Soup is always better served the next day so consider making it a day ahead.