Cascading Kitchen Notes
Potato Veggie Pierogi
Using wonton or gyoza wrappers
- Cut up 1 lb potatoes into ½ inch cubes. Steam until they're soft.
Whip up the cooked potatoes with 4 Tb butter and salt & pepper to taste. Now you have mashed potatoes.
- Add a bit of dried hot red pepper for a bit of bite!
- Cut & stem 1 bunch of greens and steam for 4 min. Once cooked chop into small pieces.
Fold chopped greens into the mashed potatoes.
- Dice 3 large carrots into tiny pieces-steam 3 minutes.
Fold carrots into the mashed potatoes.
- Whip up 1 egg and quickly stir into the potato-veggie mixture.
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- ½ onion-finely minced
The Stuff (you’ll need 2 packages of wrappers)
- Lay a gyoza wrapper on top of the stuffing tool and fill the center with 1 heaping Tb. of veggie filling. If you don't have a gyoza press just moisten the edges of the wrapper and crimp with a fork.
Any leftover filling can be used in a tasty omelette or POTATO PANCAKES.
- Moisten the outside edge of the round wrapper, fold over and crimp.
- For wontons lay the square wonton wrapper on the counter and fill the center with 1 heaping T of veggie mix. Moisten the outside edge with water or moisture from the veggie mixture. Make a triangle by pulling one corner over the filling to the opposite corner and crimp gently with the tines of a fork.
Place the Wonton or Gyoza on an oiled tray as you wrap them. They should be cooked right after assembly or the veggie mixture will saturate the wrapper and disaster ensues.
- Use peanut oil in a skillet to quickly fry them on the stove top browning them on both sides.
- Or Brush a light amount of oil on the assembled gyoza/wontons and bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 min. or until the wrapper is crisp. Keep an eye on them while they’re in the oven. The edges burn easily. If you have an oil sprayer (also called a Misto) use that to coat the dumplings. Remove with a metal spatula and serve hot.
- OR Boil small batches of wonton in a pot of water over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes until they float to the surface. Add them to a light chicken soup.
With a bowl of this tasty and spicy Ethiopian Green Sauce.Print This Post