Cascading Kitchen Notes
A Simple Preparation of Escarole
or any bitter green like radicchio
Bitter greens are wonderful, but most folks have not been exposed to them. The best way to introduce their complex flavors to unaccustomed palates is to add a combination of savory and sweet to the mix.
Break out your grilling basket.
- Cut up 2 yellow onions into chunks and toss w/ grapeseed oil or other high temp oil.
- Heat up your grill to high.
- Place in the grilling basket on the grill and turn down to med-high or medium, depending on your grill.
- You want to bring out the sweet flavors in the onion and that takes time. (20 min)
While the onions are grilling, wash and chop the escarole into 2" chunks.
- Stir the onions with tongs every 5 minutes. Once they smell like the onions at the Fair add the chopped escarole.
- Continue cooking until the escarole leaves are soft and they have a bit of a char.
- Toss out on a platter.
Serve with a smattering of meat, over rice with a nice sauce.
The good fat from a bit of fresh goat cheese, sprinkled over the top, will really soften the bitter.
Try our Apple Curry Sauce for a bright, fresh contrast.Print This Post