Broccoli Bacon Salad
A scaled down version is written at the bottom for using just 2 cups of broccoli.
Prepare salad ingredients:
- 12 cups of broccoli – cut into small chunks and lightly steamed
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 lb. cooked bacon – chopped (See "How to Cook Bacon")
- 2 lbs. red and green grapes – (if grapes are not in season, use 2 cups craisins or raisins)
Prepare Yogurt Dressing or Mustard-Vinaigrette Dressing (Recipes below)
- 3 cups plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs. honey or sugar
- 1/2 onion-shredded
- Pinch of salt
Stir together with a wire whisk. This will keep several weeks in the refrigerator.
- 9 Tbs. cider vinegar
- 3 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 Tbs. honey or sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil-or other light oil (olive oil is a bit to heavy)
Stir together with a wire whisk.
Add a bit of black pepper and maybe a pinch of sea salt, right before serving.
In a large bowl mix together in order:
- Yogurt Dressing or Mustard-Vinaigrette Dressing
- Sunflower seeds
- Grapes or craisins
This salad makes a great main dish. Serve with whole grain bread and fruit. Leftovers can be served as a side dish the next day. You can prepare the salad the night before, leaving the sunflower seeds out until ready to serve.
Here's a scaled down version:
- 2 cups broccoli
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 4 strips of cooked bacon-crumbled or chopped
- 2 cups of grapes
Add minced, purple onion.
- 2 Tbs for the scaled down version OR
- ½ cup for the full size recipe
Print This Post