What do you do with a large zucchini or other summer squash?
*For a large zucchini-cut in half, lengthwise, remove the center seeds and pith, peel the outside-removing the tough skin. .
If you have a mandolin julienne the zucchini once you’ve prepared it as above or just cut in in 1/2 inch chunks.
If the zucchini is small just run the whole squash through the mandolin or dice it.
You’ll be amazed at how many summer squash can disappear in tasty sauces using this trick.
*Enjoy the roasted garlic on toast, bread or add to plain whole milk yogurt for a dip.
Chicken and Rice Casserole
Use a pot large enough to hold the pieces of an entire chicken that can move from the stove top to the oven.
Slowly Sauté in 1/4 cup of olive oil:
- 1 large yellow onion—dice large
- 2 Cups julienned carrots
- 3 cups of sliced mushrooms (if it’s in the budget)
- 2 cloves garlic-minced
- 1 red or green sweet pepper or use both 1-2 cups diced
- 1 med zucchini or other summer squash– diced (3-4 cups) *see note on the side
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley or fresh celery leaves-minced
Sauté the mixture until the onions are translucent and smell sweet. This can take about 10 minutes. Be patient.
To the sautéed mixture add:
- 1 cup of uncooked rice (I like to use brown basmati but any kind will do)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika if you have it
Cook for 2-3 minutes but don’t brown the rice.
- 3 cups of chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add salt if needed.
Remove from heat and add:
- chicken parts on top of rice mixture
If you have more time you can brown the chicken parts before adding to the casserole.
Place a whole bulb of garlic– washed but with all the skin on in the center of the casserole. I like to cut the top off so the garlic cloves slip out easily after it’s roasted. *
If you don’t have a big enough pot-pour the rice mixture into a 9×13 glass pan and arrange the chicken on top
Bake at 375 for 1 hour. If you are using a 9 x 13 open casserole dish, cover in foil. Remove for the last 15 min.