Granola is more than breakfast.
A topping on a fruit crisp
1 cup in a bowl topped with fruit and yogurt
*We use our canned fruit in the winter months
Sprinkled over ice cream or custard
Car nibbles with extra dried fruit and whole nuts.[bg_faq_end]
Fills a 1 gal. jar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine in a large bowl:
- 8 cups rolled oats ( I use Bob’s Red Mill organic extra-thick rolled oats)
- 3 cups finely chopped nuts
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 2 cups coconut flakes
I also add wheat germ if I have it. 1/2 cup wheat germ.
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup (You can use all honey but it’s sweeter)
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1 Tbs real vanilla
- 4 tsp cinnamon
Mix liquid thoroughly and stir into dry ingredients.
Spread out on multiple greased baking pans. It fits on one commercial sheet pan, but I think 3-4 regular baking sheets would work.
- Bake for 12 minutes (I use convection)
- Stir with a metal spatula
- Bake another 8-12 minutes. Ovens will vary so watch it so the granola doesn’t burn.
Add 2 cups of craisins after it comes out of the oven and it’s still hot.
Allow it to cool.
Store in an air tight container.