Meal Possibilities with the Slaw
If you have this slaw around you're very close to a meal of these great Veggie Pancakes. This slaw should be macerated at least 1 day before making the veggie pancakes or there will be too much water. Just knead in a little salt and let rest while they release the free water.
A nice topping for Sopes...among a host of other toppings you can mix and match. Add the optional cilantro to the slaw for this meal.
- A bowl of slaw (1 recipe )
- Right before serving stir in: 1 cup cultured sour cream,
- 1-2 bunches chopped cilantro
Suddenly fish taco’s are a simple dinner.
Also good with tostados.
A bowl of slaw (1 recipe),
Right before serving add:
- 1 cup of crumbled blue cheese,
- 1 cup of freshly toasted sliced almonds or other nut or seed, *
- 1/2 cup craisins soaked in sherry vinegar and *dressing.
One recipe of slaw tossed with your homemade Caesar dressing, Add some chopped chicken and a slice of whole wheat toast on the side.
A spoonful of fermented salsa and a poached egg.
Incorporate grits into your regular diet for an economical, nutritious and tasty breakfast addition that won't leave you feeling hungry.
This will keep you going strong until lunchtime or call it dinner.
- 1 recipe of slaw tossed with
- equal amounts of leftover whole wheat spaghetti or cooked Asian noodle,
- 1.5 cups freshly toasted, sliced almonds,
- 2-3 cups of chopped chicken,
- 1-2 bunches of green onions sliced lengthwise.
Immediately before serving toss with *Asian dressing until well coated. Don’t drown the salad.
Take leftover bits of ham and cube in ½ inch chunks. I like to start with at least 2 cups. (bone, fat removed). Lightly chop in a food processor- you don’t want MUSH. Add the prepared cabbage slaw base, yogurt or mayo and a Tb of yellow mustard. Pulse the food processor a few times to blend together. Taste…see if it might benefit from a fresh grating of black pepper.
We’ve been known to take this concoction and bake it into small “meat buns” stuffed with homemade deviled ham and a dab of fresh goat cheese.
OR just serve on sandwich or crackers.
Toss 3 cups of cabbage slaw mixture with this dressing and use as a filling for fresh spring rolls or enjoy as a salad.
- ¼ cup water
- 5 tsp sugar
- ¼ cup julienned carrots
- 3 T fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic-minced
- 1 hot chili-thinly sliced (use any hot chili from the farm when they’re in season)
- Sauté 1 diced onion slowly with
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley,
- 3 cloves of minced garlic.
- 1 qt of rich chicken stock,
- 2-4 cups of slaw and cooked noodles.
Variations on a Highly Versatile Cabbage Slaw Theme
Get a jump on multiple meals by preparing this cabbage mix early in the week.
The versatility of this cabbage slaw will surprise and inspire.
With prepared veggies in your refrigerator you’ll be amazed at the number of times you reach for a handful or more of this concoction.
Here's the heart of this recipe
- 1/2 large cabbage head-shredded
- 2 cups carrots-julienned (they don’t hold well if shredded)
- 1/2 purple onion-finely minced
- 1 lemon or lime-juiced
- 2 large pinches coarse sea salt
Little extras for variety:
- 1-2 bunches chopped cilantro
- 1 handful of fresh Italian parsley
- 1 heavy pinch of red pepper flakes
- Fresh herbs depending on the season and your meal.
Place everything in a large bowl and mix well.
Allow the veggie slaw to macerate for at least an hour.
Cover- keeps in the fridge 3-4 days.