Cascading Kitchen Notes
Bacon Veggie Carbonara
Bring a large 8 qt. Pot of water to boil.
- Add 1 Tb salt…after it has reached a rolling boil
- Cook 1 lb. pasta according to directions. (spaghetti or linguini or fettuccini)
While the pasta cooks:
- Chiffonade 1-2 bunches of greens (kale, collards, chard)
- Gently cook 4-5 strips of bacon until crunchy.
- Remove the bacon and place on paper towel.
- Save the oil in the pan!
- Sauté 1 large onion-diced in the bacon fat.
Once the onions are soft and begin to smell sweet add:
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- Stir in greens and cook down for 5 min-stirring often
- You might need to borrow a bit of the pasta water to finish cooking the greens.
(reach in and get ½ cup)
- Drain pasta saving some of the cooking water just in case you need to add more sauce to the carbonara.
- Put pasta back in the large pot
- Stir in greens and onions
- Fold in 3 whipped eggs
- Gently shake the pot as you stir the pasta
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ cup pecorino romano cheese
If it needs more sauce add ¼ cup of pasta water.
Plate immediately and sprinkle cooked, diced bacon on top with a good dose of freshly ground black pepper.