Cascading Kitchen Notes
- Clean the outer layers of the garlic bulb and cut off the top of the cloves so it sits flat on the pan.
- Rub with oil and roast at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes until the garlic cloves are soft.
- Once cooked you can squeeze out each clove.
It will be much sweeter when added to recipes or just schmear it on good bread! Roast a head for the red sauce and a few more heads to spread on bread.
If you roast a head of garlic it can all go into the red sauce. Mince before adding
Red Sauce with Options
In a large sauté pan add:
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion --diced
Once the onions smell sweet and are soft add:
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 4 toes minced garlic (see the note in the sidebar about roasting the garlic)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 roasted/seeded/skinned mild or sweet peppers-diced
- 1 cup minced parsley & celery leaves
- 1 Tb dried oregano or 2 Tb fresh oregano
After cooking 10 min turn up the heat and add:
- 6-8 cups diced tomatoes
Cook 5 min on a med-high heat.
Turn down heat and add:
4 cups julienned summer squash (peeled and seeded-removing the center pith, a few shakes of salt and placed in a colander to let the water release for 30 min )
Note: Adding the zucchini helps sweeten the tomato sauce and thicken it as well. Plus it adds lots of fiber and flavor!
- Add 1 cup red wine
Let simmer for 20 min.
Run an immersion blender through the mixture for a pureed texture or leave it chunky.
Adjust the salt before serving.
- Add 1 cup-tightly packed- chopped fresh basil the last 10 min
- Add 1 cup montrachet cheese to sauce for a creamy version
Print This Post