Cascading Kitchen Notes
Try it in Lee's Recipe
Zucchini Stuffed Sole
Mix Zucchini Carmalade with cream cheese.
Wrap sole around a good portion of the above mixture and place it in a baking dish.
Add potatoes chips crushed on top. (We use Hawaiian onion chips)
Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes. I covered in foil when the chips started browning.
Thanks Lee, sounds very tasty.
Try out this "Dinner In A Bowl" as another good use for Zucchini Carmalade.
Or use a couple of cups in this Ricotta Lemon Pasta.
This is a good place to introduce fennel to your family’s palate.
- Slice the fennel bulb in half (use 1-2 bulbs)
- Remove core
- Slice bulb into thin strips
- Slowly caramelize the fennel with the onions as you make zucchini carmelade.
(formerly Veggie Marmalade or Zucchini Butter, Thanks Roberta for the creative name upgrade!)
A Solution for Large Zucchini (Summer Squash) passing their eating prime that will boost flavor and add nutrition to many meals. When zucchini are overrunning your kitchen counter, turn them into real food, not just desserts.
- Peel, remove the seeds and pith and julienne the meat.
- For a large zucchini-cut in half, lengthwise, remove the center seeds and pith, peel the outside-removing the tough skin. Peel down deep enough to remove the "threads" just under the skin.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and let drain in a colander in the sink.
- After an hour, squeeze the remaining liquid out and add to the frying pan on top of the onions you started earlier.
Start with a large surface area frying pan.
- ¼-1/2 cup of olive oil.
Bring heat up to about 350° (med heat)
Sauté 2 yellow onions (or whatever type of onion you have on hand)
Cook on med.low until they begin to caramelize. This takes about 35 min. Stir every 5 min.
Once the onions are caramelized add the zucchini that was been sweating. (see the directions above)
Cook on med low until the entire mixture looks golden and very gooey.
This can take up to an hour. Stir as it cooks so you don’t scorch it in the final stages.
Once this has cooled we call it VEGGIE MARMELADE or Zucchini Carmalade. This is the secret ingredient in our meatballs and meatloaf. A great flavor booster for soups and braises or stuffed fish!
I freeze it in 2 cup and 1 qt containers depending on the number of meatballs or size of meat loaf I want to make.
Print This Post