- Basmathi rice – 1 cup, wash and drain water, set aside
- Water – 1 cup
- Green Chilies – 1, Slit
- Ginger – 1/4 tsp grated.
- milk – 1 cup
- Cashew nuts – 3 chopped
- bay leaf – 1
- Star anise -2
- Cardamom – 2
- Cinnamon stick – 1 small piece
- Ghee – 2 Tbsp.
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp.
- Salt – to taste
- Heat Ghee in a pressure cooker at low, add bay leaf, cinnamon, star anise, cardamom and cumin seeds, sauté till it gives a pleasant aroma.
- Add cashew nuts sauté till light brown.
- Add green chilie and ginger sauté for a minute then add rice and mix well.
- add water, milk and salt stir content and close the pressure cooker. Place the whistle when steam is released (if using an Indian pressure cooker else if using another cooker make sure to set to the appropriate settings). Let it cook for 15 minutes in low or when the first whistle blows.
Note: remove bay leaf, cinnamon, star anise, cardamom and green chilie before serving since these are added just to flavor the rice.
Back to The Cascading Kitchen
Serve rice with a vegetable/ paneer gravy.