As part of the base salad marinating process add:
- Julienned: Carrots, Radish, Spring turnips and Kohlrabi. The marinating time helps to tone down the sometimes strong flavor of these root veggies.
Optional adds during final assembly:
- 2 cups of greens-ribbon cut
- Thinly sliced lengthwise: green onion, scapes or onion tops, and then cross cut into 2 inch lengths.
- Give the salad an hour to let the flavors meld.
Follow base recipe and add:
Hard boil your 12 eggs the day before so when the potato salad is assembled the next day everything is cold!
- 1 cup finely minced red onion
- 1 doz. hardboiled eggs-chopped
- 1.5 cups diced dill pickle
- 1/4 cup pickle juice
- 1 Tb dill weed
- 2 Tb yellow mustard
- 2 cups of mayo or 1 cup yogurt and 1 cup mayo
- Possible additions: 1/2 jalapeno-minced or 1 can of black olives –chopped or 1 cup minced celery.
Fold together and chill, allowing the flavors to meld for at least 2 hours.
Follow base recipe and add:
- 1 bunch of kale-chiffonade in fine ribbons. (If the kale is bitter macerate it in lime juice and sea salt-rub it around with your fingers to soften the kale. Let it sit for and hour and drain off any liquid before adding to the salad.)
- Allow the salad to meld overnight.
- Serve with fresh black pepper.
- Possible addition: 4-5 Tbs. goat cheese
- 2019 Addition: We're adding the lemon cream from Six Seasons cookbook.
Follow the base recipe and add:
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 1 cup red onion-minced
- 1 Tb oregano
- 1 cup of Greek olives-chopped
Marinated Potato Salad Base
Make the first stage of this recipe a day before serving if possible.
- Cut 3-4 lbs of red or Yukon potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes
- Use a steamer to cook the potatoes until they're tender but still holding together. You don’t want mushy potatoes. I start with 10 minutes and continue to check them every 2 minutes until they're done to my liking. You don’t want them to be crunchy either.
- Pour the marinade below into a large bowl
- Once the potatoes are steamed pour them over the marinade in the large bowl and stir
- Let it cool for about 15 minutes before placing in the fridge.
- Chill for at least 5 hours, preferably overnight.
- 6 Tb red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 2 cloves garlic-minced
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 purple onion--minced
All of the potato salad recipes are written with a minimum of salt.
Adjust the seasoning after the salad has had a chance to meld for a few hours in the refrigerator.
This is a potato salad "base". See the left hand column for some suggested variations on the theme.
This is the perfect time to add crunchy julienned veggies so they have time to marinate in the vinaigrette. It will also take the bite out of julienned radish and turnips. These veggies add to the pleasure of eating a potato salad with a bit of crunch and lots more fiber! (radish, spring turnips, kohlrabi)
A new option for 2018: Arugula Blue Cheese Green Sauce, mighty fine!