Ingredients that might be new to you if you are just beginning to cook Indian food are linked to a page with some further explanation…if you are curious.
Summer Squash Dosa
- Summer Squash – 1, grate finely.
- onion – 1 – finely chopped.
- Dosa rice (Ponni rice) – 1 cup
- Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal) – 1 tbsp.
- Green Moong Dal – 1 tbsp.
- Fenugreek Seeds – 1 tsp
Ingredients to grind with the Dosa batter
- Coriander seeds – 2 tbsp.
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry red chili – 2
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Fresh coconut – 5 tbsp..
- Jaggery -1 tbsp.
- Tamarind – 5 grams
- Salt – to taste
- Soak the rice along with chana dal, green gram and fenugreek seed with enough water for about 8 hours.
- Grind the soaked rice and lentils with other spices to create a smooth dosa batter. Do not keep the batter too runny or too thick (pancake consistency). Add it to a large bowl and set it aside.
Making the Dosa:
- Add the grated summer squash and onion to the batter and mix.
- Heat a flat iron griddle season with oil, pour a ladle full of the batter on a moderately hot flat iron griddle like a pancake.
- Drizzle some oil, cover and cook the dosa on a low to medium flame. Cook a little extra since you need the vegetable to cook through.
- Now gently flip the dosa and cook on the other side. Do the same for the rest of the batter.
Serve Dosa with coconut chutney.
Back to The Cascading Kitchen