Make 1 recipe of Whole Wheat Rolls (makes 24) and have it ready to go. You can keep it in the fridge if you want to make it the day before. Take the dough out of the fridge one hour before you are ready to assemble the rolls.
- 2 lbs. Italian bulk sausage
- 1 large onion - diced
- 2 bunches of kale, chard, collard, spinach or other fresh greens cut in chiffonade style. (see How to Chiffonade Greens)
Prepare sausage/vegetable filling:
Cook the sausage in a heavy frying pan.
Drain off the fat from the sausage and hold in a separate bowl.
Braise the Greens (follow the link for easy steps on braising)
- In the same frying pan, sauté the diced onion until sweet. (med heat...don't brown the onions, take your time)
- Add 2 bunches of prepared kale (or other green) and braise for 7 minutes with a lid over the frying pan.
- Remove the lid and stir the greens and onion together.
- Cook until the mixture is soft and the liquid has evaporated.
Stir cooked onions and greens into the cooked sausage.
Fill Sausage Rolls:
Remove the dough from the refrigerator an hour before pinching into 24 rolls.
Flatten each roll into a 6-inch circle
Place 3 Tbs. of sausage/vegetable mixture in the center of each circle.
Pinch dough closed and place roll seam side down on greased cookie sheet.
Bake for 20 minutes @ 350 degrees.
These may be made ahead and frozen for tasty, quick lunches on the run.