Soup is always better the 2nd day. Consider making the soup the day before to allow the flavors to meld.
Cream of Green Soup
In a large stock pot sauté:
- 2 onions– diced
- ¼ cup olive oil
Cook until the onions over medium heat until they are translucent and smell sweet. Be careful not to brown them.
- 6-7 large potatoes - peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 quarts soup stock.
(If you don’t have homemade stock available, buy 1 quart veggie stock and 1 quart chicken stock)
Bring to a gentle boil and turn down to simmer.
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2-3 lbs. broccoli-chopped. Make sure to peel the tough stems.
- 2 bunches of washed, chopped seasonal greens (spinach, kale or beet greens)
Allow the soup to simmer for about 30 minutes with the lid on.
Check to see if all of the veggies are soft and well cooked.
Use an immersion blender in the pot or transfer the soup a little at a time to a blender and puree.
Return the soup to the stockpot.
- 2 cups whole milk or half and half
Gently heat the soup, taking care not to let it come to a boil.
Taste the soup to check the seasonings.
- Add salt if needed.
Serve with homemade croutons and a tablespoon of yogurt.Print This Post