Here’s a recipe from Mona, a Cascading Kitchen genius. She and her children stop by the Farm each week and bring wonderful contributions to our conversation about how to prepare and eat the food at hand.
Saute in 1/2 cup (or cube) of butter until onions smell sweet:
- 1/4 C fresh ginger-grated
- 1 onion-chopped
- 1 T chopped garlic
- 4-5 T garam masala
- 2 T cumin
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- The seeds only from 4-5 cardamom pods
- 1 or 2 medium size roasted, skinned and seeded hot peppers–diced (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. Star of Anise
- 1 tsp. salt
- Optionally add 1/2 C chopped fenugreek leaves
Saute until the spices bloom and the oil starts to sizzle.
- 5-6 C chopped tomatoes and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 1 C ground almonds
Cook for 5 more minutes then puree with your immersion blender or your food processor.
*Stop here in the recipe if you want to freeze it for later use.
Pour back into the frying pan and Add:
- 2 cups whipping cream (substitute whole milk when it’s not a party) and warm gently, remove from heat.
In a separate pot:
Cook your vegetables in salted water (see the idea list below for vegetable options)
- Green beans,
- summer squash cubes,
- Paneer (Indian cheese)
- sautéed or grilled chicken chunks
Add your choice of cooked vegetables, cooked chicken and/or paneer to the sauce , adjust salt and warm through. Serve over rice.