This is the recipe Aruna demonstrated at the Cascade Kitchen on Saturday, September 24th.
Serve Aloo Methi with tortilla/ roti or as a side with rice & curry.
Aloo Methi (Potato Fenugreek )
(see ingredient sourcing notes below)
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Potatoes – 10 medium
- Fenugreek – 2 bunches
- Green Thai chili – 1
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Onion- 1 medium
- Turmeric- 1 tsp
- Cumin powder- 2 tsps
- Coriander powder – 2 tsps
- Salt – to taste
- Fresh curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Cut potatoes in small cubes.
- Finely Chop onion, garlic and curry leaves separately.
- Peel the Fenugreek leaves from the stem, wash and drain out the water completely. Chop the fenugreek leaves finely.
- Slit green chile lengthwise.
- Add oil to the pan and heat.
- To the heated oil add cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds begin to crackle add curry leaves, green chili and sauté for few seconds.
- Now add onion, when it turns transparent add garlic. Let the garlic cook a little.
- Add potatoes and let it cook for 5 mins
- Add fenugreek leaves and turmeric and sauté.
- Cover the lid and let it cook until the potatoes are 3/4th cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt, cumin and coriander powder and stir.
- Keep the pan covered with a lid and let the potatoes cook completely.
If you have difficulty finding some of the ingredients in your normal haunts (or finding them fresh enough) visit Mayuri, an Indian Food store.
Make sure to view this in desktop mode for all the details.