Cascading Kitchen Notes
Corn Chowder with Roasted Peppers
- Remove the raw corn kernels from at least 5-6 ears of sweet corn. Set aside in a bowl.
(Save the corn cobs to cook in the milk to add flavor. Store in the fridge if you’re not using them the same day)
- Roast 2-3 roasting peppers ( sweat skin off peppers, remove skin and seeds) dice
- Saute 1-2 onions in 2 Tb oil and 2 Tb butter.
Add the roasted diced peppers
- Add minced jalapeno if you like more heat in your soup.
- Add the corn kernels once the onion has begun to soften and smell sweet.
Cook over med-low for 10-15 minutes or until the corn mixture begins to brown just a bit. Don't rush this part. The corn sugars will come forward during the slow saute.
You can stop the process here and put it in the fridge to build the soup in a few days or continue on.
Heat up 2 quarts of whole milk, slowly so you don’t scorch the bottom. (Half and Half is nice for a fancier soup.)
Add the corn cobs to the milk as you bring it to a slow simmer for 10 min.
Remove the corn cobs.
Add the corn-onion-pepper saute.
Dice 4 cups of potato and add to the soup. About 1/2" square.
Cook 10 min.
Serve once the potatoes have cooked.Print This Post