Cascading Kitchen Notes
You could also bake the mixture in well greased muffin tins for about 20 minutes. Fill each muffin 2/3 rd’s full. Bake and test with a toothpick. This makes a great lunch. Be careful with the cooking time so they don't dry out.
The recipe calls for 1/4 C of flour. You can cut that back to 1 Tb for a more fragile set or use the full 4Tb for a more durable hand held lunch on the run.
Cook the night before and store in the refrigerator overnight. The next morning cut the 9x13 pan into squares, just the right size for lunch. You can eat it with your fingers when it’s cold. When you pack your lunch make sure to keep it cool. Remember cooked eggs must stay cool.
- Remember to guard against Cross Contamination when working with eggs.
- Be sure to wash your hands before and after handling raw eggs.
- Use separate plates for raw eggs and cooked eggs.
- Clean and disinfect the counters to remove raw eggs.
Cheesy Egg Squares with Braised Greens
Lunch on the Run
Preheat oven to 350°
Prepare as per these instructions. Once the greens are cooked, remove from the heat, uncover and allow the greens to cool.
(Another option is using your dehydrated greens. You can read about the dehydration process here. Rehydrate the greens before folding them into the mixture to bake.)
In a large bowl:
- Crack 1 dozen eggs
- Beat the eggs with a wire whip
- 1 pint cottage cheese
- 3 cups shredded cheese - cheddar or pepper jack (If you’d like fewer calories, omit the shredded cheese)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper (I like more pepper so I use about ½ tsp.)
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour or Garbanzo Bean flour
Stir mixture together.
Add the cooled, braised greens to the egg-cheese mixture and stir until combined.
If you're making the Squares:
- Pour mixture into a greased, 9x13 pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until done.
- Test by inserting a toothpick into the center of the casserole. It’s done if the toothpick comes out clean.
If you're making the muffins:
- Coat the muffin tin with light oil.
- Fill 2/3 full
- Cook 20-25 min depending on the size of your muffins.
- Insert a toothpick. If it comes out clean they’re done.
Allow the Cheesy Eggs to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.Print This Post