You can never have "enough" tools and gadgets in your kitchen but good cooking really doesn't require all that many. Here's a list for a very basic set of kitchen tools carefully selected to cook well, but not cost too much. We've chosen metal over plastics for health and durability. We've chosen heavier gauge over cheap and light when it will give you a superior result.
Required Kitchen Tools
Since Walmart is generally the only local store in proximity to many students we've listed tools below that are available there for a total of $129.85. Try shopping for used items or ask your family for duplicates. Find a knife sharpener sometime before you new knife gets dull.
- Nordic Ware Large Cookie Sheet $8.97
- 9 x 13 Glass Ovenware $14.97
- Stainless Steel 8 Quart Multi-Cooker with Lid $19.46
- 10" Non-Stick Fry Pan $14.97
- Oneida 9" Turner $4.97
- 9 Piece Bamboo Utensil Set $7.97
- 7" Knife $6.97
- Paring Knife $3.97
- Grater 7.97
- Measuring Cups 5.97
- Measuring Spoons 2.97
- Cutting Board 7.47
- Whisk 3.97
- Veggie Peeler 1.97
- Mixing Bowls 5.92
- Dish Cloths, 9 Pack 3.48 Start a good habit of using a dishcloth instead of a sponge. A sponge is a bacteria hotel and nearly impossible to keep clean.
- Can Opener 4.97
A few basic supplies total about $15
- Reynolds Wrap Standard Aluminum Tin Foil, 75 Square Feet 3.48
- Ziploc Pinch & Seal Storage Bags, Gallon, 19 Count 3.38
- Great Value Everyday Strong Printed Paper Towels, 3 Big Rolls 1.94
- Great Value BPA Free Take Outs Storage Containers, Large Entree, 32 fl oz, 4 Count 2.17
- Quart of Bleach for disinfecting counters and cutting boards
- Spray Bottle $1.00, fill with water plus 1/4 teaspoon of bleach and keep on the countertop.
- Foil Casserole Pans 2.18 for 2 pack, You can clean and reuse these if you're careful. They're not necessary but are helpful if you want to cook meals to freeze for later.
Optional, But Helpful Kitchen Tools
This is a nice set of boxes that will enable you to take your lunch with you and have more than just a sandwich in a bag. Most food budgets are blown eating out at lunch.