This is made with Ash gourd (boodukumbalakayi) which Jubilee Farm is growing this year (2017) on a trial basis…see how it grows.
- Ash gourd (boodukumbalakayi) – 4 cups, wash, remove the skin, deseed and grate.
- Sugar – 1.5 cup
- Ghee 4 tbsp.
- Saffron strands – pinch, soaked in 1/4 cup warm water.
- Cashew 10 pieces, broken into pieces
- Raisins – 10
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Heat 1 tbsp. ghee in a thick bottom pan at low, add cashew and raisins sauté until raisins puff up. Keep the dry fruits aside.
- Add grated ash gourd to the same pan , sauté until water evaporates and it is tender.
- Add the remaining ghee, saffron and sugar. mix well
- Stir the contents continuously until ghee and cooked gourd separate and it becomes jelly like.
- Turn off the heat, add the dry fruits and cardamom and stir well.
Kashi Halva can be served hot or chilled.