Vadde, a delicious savory delicacy, is made with ground lentils, spices, herbs and other ingredients that are then mixed into a dough and steamed/fried in round shapes. This is a steamed (Abbe) vadde recipe.
- Green gram – 1 cup
- Toor dal – 1/2 cup
- Channa dal – 1/2 cup
- Dill – 1 bunch, chopped finely.
- Cilantro – 1 bunch, chopped finely.
- Ginger – 1 inch,
- Onion – 1, finely chopped
- Green chilles – 3, finely chipped.
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp.
- Salt to taste.
- Soak Green gran, toor dal and channa dal with enough water for 8 hours.
- Add to blender cumin seeds, green chilies and ginger, grind to a fine paste.
- Rinse out the water from the soaked lentils (green gram dal, toor dal and channa dal) and add to blender. Grind the lentils to a coarse texture.
- Transfer the ground contents into a mixing bowl, add dill, cilantro, onion and salt, mix well.
- Take a handful of the ground lentil mixture make it into a small dough.
- Repeat step 4 with the remaining lentil mixture.
- Steam the dough for 15 minutes.
The above dough can be deep fried instead of steamed, serve deep fried vadde with Chai.
Serve abbe vadde hot with some ghee smeared over it.