Cascading Kitchen notes:
The inspiration for this recipe/template comes from several sources. Most of all it’s driven by what I have on-hand at the moment.
Make sure you use a large sauté/frying pan so you can spread the squash cubes out. Heat the pan before adding the squash.
Winter Squash Braised in Apple Cider
- Melt 3 Tb butter in a large sauté pan
- Add handful of fresh sage-ribbon cut
- Cook until you can smell the sage in the butter (a few minutes)
- 2lbs Cubed winter squash
- ½ cup apple cider or orange juice or whatever fresh juice you have on hand.
Cook it down until it creates a glaze
- 1 ½ cups of cider or other juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp fresh black pepper
Quickly cook until the squash is soft and most of the liquid has evaporated.
Splash about 1 Tb of good vinegar over the top and allow it to run into the juices on the bottom of the pan.
Remove and serve on a hot platter, pouring any remaining glaze over the top.