Cascading Kitchen notes:
Turn these waffles into a savory dinner by adding a Sausage Gravy.
- I double this recipe and freeze the cooked waffles in ziplock bags for quick breakfasts. I freeze the cooked squash in one quart containers to work with this recipe.
- *Bake multiple winter squash on the same day. Cut the winter squash into med. size chunks, seeded but not skinned. Lay these pieces out on a baking sheet. Cook until soft then allow to cool. Remove the meat of the squash and puree in the food processor. Freeze squash puree in quart containers.Use this in the waffle recipe or as a side dish. Here are more ideas to enjoy a ready supply of squash in the freezer.
Waffles with Winter Squash and Apples
Start by melting ½ cup (1 cube) of butter and let it cool.
In a good sized bowl mix together:
- 2 cups of cooked, mashed winter squash *
- 6-8 eggs
- 2 cups milk or buttermilk
- 2 large apples-diced
Add cooled butter to this mixture.
In a separate bowl:
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbs baking powder
- 2 cups of finely chopped nuts-your choice of nut
- 1 cup oats-pulverized in the blender
- 1 cup of flour (1/2 whole wheat-1/2 lighter flour like white or other)
Mix the dry ingredients together.Combine the dry ingredients into the moist mixture.Cook in a waffle iron.