Enjoy the veggie pancakes with a dipping sauce or rolled and filled for an even more substantial main course.
Place in your food processor:
- 3-4 cups Sorrel leaves-coarsely chopped
- 3-4 cups Lemon balm leaves-coarsely chopped
*If you don’t coarsely chop the leaves you can end up with a stringy texture
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
Pulse the food processor until it looks like a textured paste not a green liquid.
½ cup olive oil
*Always add the oil last to any pesto or you run the risk of burning the oil and giving the pesto a bitter taste.
- 2 cups of whole milk yogurt
- 1 clove of garlic– minced
- 1 cucumber-seeded and shredded
In a large non-reactive pot:
- 2 lbs plums-pitted and chopped
- 1/2 purple onion-minced
- 1-2 inches of fresh grated ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic-minced
- 1 Tb coriander
- 1 Tb vinegar
- 2 Tb tamari sauce or soy sauce
- 1/3-1/2 C brown sugar
- 1 tsp chili sauce (Asian kind)
- 1 tsp salt
Cook gently for 30 minutes until thick and glossy.
Serve inside stuffed lettuce wraps with chicken or over pork chops.
It will freeze nicely for a zesty meal next winter.
In a large mixing bowl add:
- 8 cups of zucchini –julienned or heavy shred, seeds and centers removed. Mix with ½ tsp salt and sweat in a colander for ½ hour or more to remove moisture.
- 2 cups of carrots-diced
- 1/2 onion finely minced
- You can even add a cup of ribbon cut greens for color
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup of flour (try using garbanzo bean flour found in Indian grocery stores)
- 1-2 tsp sea salt & pepper to taste
- Gently stir together all ingredients until blended-don’t over mix
- On a preheated griddle or frying pan, over medium-low heat, with melted butter:
- Spoon enough batter to make 5 inch pancakes
- Cook for 5 minutes
- Lift pancake and insert a tsp of butter under each pancake and turn over on top of the butter.
- Cook another 5 minutes.
These make a very festive summer supper and kids will enjoy helping with the preparation and the eating! Take your skillet and a burner out to the picnic table and enjoy your meal as the cooking pancakes set the cadence for the summer evening.
Back to The Cascading Kitchen