This is a recipe that is so much more than the sum of its parts….
It’s super simple and perfect as a main dish or alongside a piece of grilled meat or fish.
Domino-stacked Veggie Casserole
Modified for the farm from Barefoot in Paris
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions- sliced thin. You can add 1 fennel bulb sliced into slivers and sauted with the 2 onions. Save the 1/3 cup fennel leaves to sprinkle on top after it comes out of the oven.
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 large zucchinis, sliced into thin rounds
- 6-7 small yukon or yellow potatoes, sliced into thin rounds
- 4-5 tomatoes, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated gouda or Pecorino Romano cheese
Put it together:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and salt and cook for about 10 minutes until soft and just beginning to caramelize. They’ll start to smell sweet.
- Add garlic and thyme and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Spread the onion mixture in the bottom of an 10-inch diameter baking dish.
- Layer tomatoes, potatoes and zucchini in alternating layers.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with thyme, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Wrap foil tightly around the dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes until it’s golden brown and heated through.
Make sure to view this in desktop mode for all the details.Print This Post