Use up the bits and pieces and make a summer supper.
[expand title=”Lemony Vinaigrette”]
Place in a bowl and whip together:
- 2 Tb onion (whatever onion is in season) Using your box grater-shred
- 3-4 Tb fresh lemon juice
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 Tb sherry or rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar or honey
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp sea salt (add more if needed- it will depend what you’re serving it on)
- 2 garlic cloves-minced
- Handful of herbs in season (basil, dill or oregano would be a good start) minced
Slowly drizzle ¾ cup olive oil , using the wire whisk the whole time.
Summer Quinoa Salad #1
With Loads of Veggies
To cook quinoa:
Rinse under a steady stream of cold water:
- 1 cup of uncooked quinoa in a fine meshed strainer for several minutes
In a heavy bottomed pan heat:
- 3-4 Tb olive oil
- Rinsed quinoa
Cook until the water is gone and it starts to toast –takes about 2 min.
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tsp sea salt
Bring it to a boil. Turn down heat to simmer. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes. Check to see if it’s soft. If it’s still a bit crunchy or there’s some water in the bottom of the pan cook it another 5 minutes with the lid off.
Once the quinoa is cooked turn it into a wide, shallow pan for quick cooling.
While the quinoa cools, chop up some seasonal veggies.
Add an assortment of your choice:
- 1 cup sweet peppers or roasted hot/mild peppers-skin and seeds removed-diced
- ½ purple onion-finely diced
- 1 cup Cauliflower- small bits
- 1 cup Broccoli-stems peeled and diced-broccoli head-small bits
- 1 cup Kohlrabi-peeled & julienned
- 1 cup fresh basil-fine ribbon cut
- Large cucumbers-peeled, seeded and chunked, as much as you like or need to use up!
- Tomatoes-course chop, as many as you can spare
If you want to turn this into a main meal in a bowl you could add:
- Shredded cheese or crumbled feta
- Chopped chicken meat
- Smoked salmon if you’re lucky enough to have some in your pantry
Don’t toss this salad with the dressing until right before you serve it. Quinoa can get mushy if dressed too long. Toss with Lemony Vinaigrette when ready to serve.
Summer Quinoa Salad #2
Follow the same instructions for toasting and cooking the quinoa.
While cooked quinoa cools…In a separate bowl:
- 3 cloves garlic-minced until almost a paste
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 inch of fresh ginger-grated
On Top of this mixture add:
- 1 bunch of greens(kale, collards, chard, beet greens,) finely chiffonade.
Massage the whole mixture until the greens begin to exude liquid. Pour it off.
- Add fresh parsley, chives, or cilantro, or mint if you have it on hand (1/2 cup of one of these)
- Add 3 Tb olive oil and toss
- Now add the cooled quinoa into the large bowl of greens and gently toss together.
- Top with freshly toasted nuts or seeds of your choice.
- Serve with a wedge of fresh lemon or lime to squeeze over the individual servings.
Don’t add the acid (lime or lemon juice) until ready to eat or the salad will turn to mush.