Stuffed Collards (Cabbage or Onions)
- 2 cups cooked rice or grain
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 Tb ground cumin
- 1 Tb ground coriander
- 2 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro or parsley (reserve some for garnish)
- 1 pound ground meat of your choice (Get some Jubilee Farm grass fed beef on sale at the barn)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 3 pinches of sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cabbage– steam cabbage head 10 min. and gently remove whole leaves
- Collard– steam 12-15 collard paddles for 8 min. Remove the stems.
- Onions– peel 3-4 large sweet onions, remove the core and boil whole for 10 min. When the core has been removed it’s easier to unwrap the layers of onion for stuffing. If you have leftover onion-dice it an fold it into the filling
- Fill the wrap with about 2-3 Tbs of filling and close. Place the seam side down in a 9 x 13 inch pan (non-reactive). Once the pan is filled with stuffed goodies,
- Cover with your favorite red sauce.
- Cover w/ heavy foil
- Bake 35-50 minutes (depending on the size of the stuffed item) at 350 degrees. Check after 35 minutes. You don’t want to overcook grass fed hamburger.
- Remove foil and confirm the filling is cooked.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.