In Kannada ( my mother tongue) this dish is referred to as palya. Palya means dry fried (dry fried refers to something that requires just a few tsps. of oil) or sautéed, vegetable dish. This is eaten as a side with rice & curry or with roti. We can make palya with a variety of vegetables like carrot, peas, okra, green beans, gourds and pumpkins.
- Summer Squash – 2 – cut into small cubes.
- Fennel head – 1 – chopped finely.
- Green chille – 2 – slit lengthwise.
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig – chopped finely.
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
- Fresh or frozen grated coconut – 1 tbsp.
- Frozen or fresh peas – 1/4 cup
- Cilantro – 1 tbsp. finely chopped
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Salt -to taste.
- Turmeric – 1 tsp
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds when it starts to crackle add curry leave & green chille, sauté for a minute.
- Add chopped fennel and sauté till translucent.
- Add Squash and peas. Cook for 15 minutes at low heat with a lid.
- When squash is cooked mix in salt and turmeric. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and sprinkle grated coconut and chopped cilantro.
Back to The Cascading Kitchen
Serve with roti or as a side with rice and dal.(remove the slit green chillies when serving)