In a large bowl add:
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
Stir to dissolve salt
Then, stir while adding:
- 2 cups white corn flour (Arepas flour)
Knead until the dough is smooth.
Let it rest for 5 minutes. The flour will continue to soak up the water and get thick. The dough, when fully hydrated, should not stick to your hands. If the dough is too wet, add another tablespoon or two of corn flour and let it rest for another few minutes.
Divide into 1-1/2" inch balls, more or less
Pat flat and crimp a pie crust edge so it holds the filling. The center of the sope should be a maximum of about 1/4" thick.
They should be about 3-4 inches in diameter.
Toast on a pre-heated, dry skillet
Medium heat, 10 min…or more until cooked.
Melt 1 cube of butter
- Add 1 minced garlic clove
- Include cilantro in your mince or slaw
- Crumbled feta or queso fresco on top of the mince
- Spread some cooked beans on the bottom before adding the mince
- Sprinkle a small amount of cooked/shredded chicken or meat on top