Serve this lovely vegetable sauce over pasta, roasted cauliflower & potatoes or “spiralized” summer squash.
Freeze this sauce in quart containers for a feast this winter!
Red Sauce with Options
In a large sauté pan add:
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion –diced
Once the onions smell sweet and are soft add:
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 4 toes minced garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 roasted/seeded/skinned mild or sweet peppers-diced
- 1 cup minced parsley & celery leaves
- 1 Tb dried oregano or 2 Tb fresh oregano
After cooking 10 min turn up the heat and add:
- 6-8 cups diced tomatoes
Cook 5 min on a med-high heat.
Turn down heat and add:
4 cups julienned summer squash (peeled and seeded-removing the center pith)
- Add 1 cup red wine
Let simmer for 20 min.
Run an immersion blender through the mixture for a pureed texture or leave it chunky.
Adjust the salt before serving.
- Add 1 cup-tightly packed- chopped fresh basil the last 10 min
- Add 1 cup montrachet cheese to sauce for a creamy version