Small note on the radish dumpling:
Radish Dumpling is called ‘Mooli Muthia’ in Guajarati. It is a vegan dish that resembles a sausage that is steamed and then sliced, finally these slices are shallow fried in oil with curry leaves, fennel, cumin and sesame seeds.
- Radish – 2 bunches, peeled and grated.
- Radish greens , a handful, chopped
- Pearl Millet flour ( Bajra ) – 3/4 cup
- Whole Wheat flour – 1/2 cup
- Gram flour (besan) – 1/4 cup
- Carom seeds (Ajwain) – 2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing) – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Green chili paste – 2-3 tsp, or red chili powder – 1 tsp.
- Ginger garlic paste -2 tsp.
- Cilantro – a handful, finely chopped
- oil -1 tbsp..
- Lemon juice -2 tsp.
- Sugar -1 tsp.
- Salt – to taste
- oil -1 tbsp.
- Cumin seeds – 2 tsp.
- Fennel seeds (Saunf) – 1 tsp
- Sesame seeds – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig – finely chopped.
- Add all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add some water and mix until everything just comes together. Do not knead the dough too much.
- Prepare logs of dough that are 1-1/2 inches thick. You can make about 2-3 logs. Knead lightly with your palms.
- Steam logs for 15-20 minutes over medium heat. Insert a knife to check if they are done. The knife should come out clean when the dough is cooked/steamed.
- Allow them to cool and slice the logs to about 1 inch thick.
- In a non-stick pan, heat cooking oil. Once the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds. Once they sizzle, add the curry leaves, fennel seeds and sesame seeds.
- Add the sliced radish dumplings and fry them on medium heat till they turn to a light golden color.
Serve dumpling with mint chutney or ketchup.