This is made with an Indian variety of pumpkin which Jubilee Farm is growing this year (2017) on a trial basis…see how it grows.
- Toor dal – 1/4 cup, cooked.
- Pumpkin – 2 cups cubed, boiled.
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig, chopped finely
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste.
Masala Ingredients for grinding:
- Urad dal – 3/4 tsp
- Channa dal – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds –
- Asafoetida – pinch
- Corriander seeds – 2 tsp
- Red Chillies – 3
- Fresh or frozen coconut – 1/4 cup
- Grind the masala ingredients to a fine paste after dry roasting it to light brown.
- Heat oil in a pan to medium, add mustard seeds, let it crackle.
- Add cooked pumpkin and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add dal, salt and ground masala and bring to a boil.
Serve Pumpkin sambar with rice.
Back to The Cascading Kitchen