Cut together with 2 butter knives (or pastry blender) until the butter is about the size of large peas:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup butter or leaf lard (use 1Tb less of Lard than butter)
In a separate cup mix together:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 C very cold water
- 2 tsp. vinegar
For a savory crust add 2 tsp smoked paprika and 1 tsp of sea salt.
- cut in the liquid until it just begins to hold together
- Place the dough in a bag, squeezing it together to form a ball and chill in the freezer for 1 hour.
- You can make pie dough ahead of time and keep it in the freezer. A ball this size takes about an hour to defrost and still be cold enough to work well.
- Roll out the dough on a well floured parchment paper or pastry cloth. Work quickly so the dough does not warm up.
- Bake at 425 degrees. Cooking time will depend on whether it's a double or single crust pie or just a simple galette.
Print This Post