Cascading Kitchen Notes
Onion Gruyere Tart
Make a single crust pie dough and chill overnight in the fridge or for 30 min. in the freezer in a sealed ziplock bag.
- Caramelize 4-5 yellow onions in
- ½ cup olive oil until they look like candy. This must happen on med low heat and can take up to 45 min. Be patient. If the onions need more cooking but the bottom of the pan seems dry, rather than add more oil, a splash of water can help with the cooking process.
- add 1/2 tsp of nutmeg and let it bloom throughout the caramelizing.
I like to get this done a day ahead so they’re cold when they go on the tart.
- Grate 3 cups of gruyere cheese …or what ever cheese you like that melts well.
- Preheat the oven to 425°
- After the dough has chilled, roll out the crust, free form, to fill a baking tray. Crimp the edges to hold the filling. It will be irregular in shape but that’s part of its charm.
- Put it back in the freezer for 20 min.
After the 20 min in the freezer :
- Sprinkle the cheese over the whole pie crust.
- Arrange the caramelized onions on top of the cheese.
- Bake for 25 min. Keep an eye on the crust and turn the tray in the oven if one side appears to be hotter.
- Depending on your oven you might need another 5 min. You want the crust nicely browned but not burned.
The cheese should be bubbly.
Serve immediately.Print This Post