Learning to Live with Independence, Thrift and Health
Many of the choices you'll see in this five week experiment are made to increase your health and enjoyment and do so while saving your money for other priorities. Learn to be independent from the pressures of advertising and social groups by making solid, rational decisions about your health and spending. Stay with it and possibly inculcate (new word of the day!) some new patterns that will stay with you for the rest of your life.
Groceries this week are $66.21.
Take a look to see whether you're eating more or less of things like peanut butter, bread, milk, yogurt, eggs and adjust your shopping accordingly. Make sure you've got enough peanut butter for the Special K Bars.
- Romaine Lettuce 3.84
- Broccoli, 2 lbs 2.00
- Granny Smith Apples 3 EA @ 1.06
- Buttermilk Pancake Mix, 5 lbs 4.98
- Bananas, Organic 2 EA @ .20
- Johnsonville Link Sausages 12 oz 2.98
- Organic Whole Milk Plain Probiotic Yogurt 1 qt. 3.88
- Large AA Eggs 1-1/2 Dozen @ 1.45
- Multi Grain Bread 1.88
- Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix Double Packet for 2.52
- Sweet Cream Salted Butter 2.94
- Butterscotch Chips 1.88
- Chocolate Chips 1.88
- Adam's Creamy Peanut Butter, 36 oz 5.83
- Special K Cereal, 18 oz 3.72
- Karo Light Corn Syrup, 16 oz. 2.14
- Whole Milk, 1/2 Gallon 1.55
- Elbow Macaroni, 32 oz 1.43
- Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese 6.78 for 2 lbs
- Fresh Garlic .48/head
- Bunch of Celery 1.38
- Carrots, 2 lb bag 1.54
- Yellow Onions 2 EA @ .62
- Whole, Young Natural Chicken 5 to 6-1/2 lbs 6.31 or .97/lb
Week Four Make Ahead Items
Hard Boil Four Eggs
See the adjacent picture to get an idea how many minutes to boil the eggs. Store them in the refer in a covered bowl or bag.
Cook enough for two breakfasts and store in a jar. You can heat it up in the skillet (A little fried slice of oatmeal) or microwave a bowl full. Add a bit of milk or water.
When you remove the meat,
- divide into three equal piles.
- Store two of the piles in two zip lock bags in the freezer once they're cooled.
- With the other third you will make chicken salad sandwiches this week. Put it in a zip lock bag in the refer for now.
If you don't have time to make the chicken stock now, once you have removed the meat from the bones, throw the cooled carcass, skin, any veggies and drippings into a bag and put it in the freezer or refer if you think you can get to it in a few days. Don't throw this away. It will take less than 10 minutes of your time to make this great chicken stock. It just needs to simmer on the stove for a number of hours. It will knock the socks off of the boxed chicken stock and transform your soup, sauces and risotto into FANTASTIC!
If you just own the one 9 x 13 baking dish you'll make these later in the week after you make the Mac and Cheese.
Your grocery list included a double packet of Hidden Valley Ranch mix. We had you buy two but only use one. Just mix with:
- 1 cup mayo.
- 1 cup milk (or ½ cup sour cream + ½ cup milk)
This will work well for a veggie dip snack as well as your dinner salads. The link above is for a scratch recipe that tastes best... if you have all the spices and herbs.
We bought 2 packets to save money and more importantly leave you with for pantry options for the weeks to come!
- Egg and toast
- Yogurt, flavor it as you like...brown sugar, maple syrup, jam, bit of granola...
- Homemade Oatmeal with nuts, brown sugar, maple syrup, bit of milk....
- 2 sausage links
- Pancakes with butter and syrup or yogurt, jam
Maybe slice some of your banana fairly thin (1/8") and place a few rounds in the uncooked batter on your skillet for yummy banana pancakes.
Pour the batter on a buttered, medium hot skillet. Some bubbles will form on the face of the pancake. Turn the pancake over when those bubbles begin to pop. For a crispier edge, use a bit more oil or butter on your skillet. Don't forget to make at least one Mickey Mouse or Smiley Face pancake!
- Two sausage links
- Yogurt. Flavor it how you like.
- 1/3 of your stored, cooked chicken (that you put in the freezer last week) will make 3 chicken salad sandwiches
- Carrot sticks
- two hard boiled eggs
- yogurt with fruit
- celery and peanut butter
- PBJ if you make this on real, substantial bread it makes a decent meal. Not so much on white air bread.
- Cheese Stick
- Apple slices
- Cheese Toast--Grill the toast and cheese under your broiler. (microwaving toast and cheese is not a lovely option!)
- Apple slices
- Celery with peanut butter
- Mac and Cheese
- Frozen Broccoli
- Green salad with Ranch Dressing
- Hamburger from the two patties you have stored in your freezer
- Buns you stored in the freezer.
- Green salad with Ranch Dressing
- You should still have pickles in the fridge already in addition to mayo, ketchup, mustard and lettuce.