Masala Hash Browns are an innovative and exciting way to include root vegetables like Turnips into your diet !
The video at the bottom of the page includes all the directions and ingredients and takes you through steps to make tasty, perfectly textured hash browns with a touch of Indian spices.
The Indian spices beautifully pair with Turnips while effectively bringing down the their strong flavor that some people might feel overwhelming. If you have not been a Turnips fan, this recipe might just turn you into one !
Masala Hash Browns
from Aparna (see her video below)
The following recipe makes two 8″ rounds.
- Turnips – 2 medium(grated thick) about 1 heaping cup grated
- Potatoes – 2 medium (grated thick) about 1 heaping cup grated
- Flour (Any of Rice/All Purpose/Garbanzo) 2-3 T
- Garlic- (minced) 1 T
- Sea Salt – 1tsp (adjust to taste)
- Coriander Powder – 1-1/2 tsp.
- Cumin Powder – 3/4 tsp.
- Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp (adjust to taste or omit)
- Scallions/Green Onions (finely chopped) 2-3 T
- Oil- 2 T
- Dipping sauce to serve
In a mixing bowl combine:
- grated turnips and potatoes
- sea salt, garlic, cumin, coriander, chili powder (or paprkia if you prefer)
- Sprinkle flour in a little at a time and lightly toss. Add more flour as required for an even coating.
- Add Scallions or green onions and lightly mix again.
To a skillet over medium heat add
- the oil coating it evenly. Allow the oil to heat up before adding the potatoe/turnip mixture. You want to hear that sizzle!
- Evenly place about half of the mixture in the skillet, cover and cook for a few minutes to develop a nice golden brown.
- When they achieve that perfect golden brown, flip and repeat.
Top with grated cheese and/or chopped herbs of your choice.
Serve warm or at room temperature with ketchup or a nice dipping sauce.
Make sure to view this in desktop mode for all the details.Print This Post