This is the filling of a steamed dumpling made on the festival of Lord Ganesh at our home without the rice wrap. It is prepared with Urad dal, herbs and spices.
- Urad dal – 1 cup, washed and soaked for an hour.
- Dill – handful, washed and finely chopped.
- Cilantro – handful, washed and finely chopped.
- Onion – 1, finely chopped.
- Cumin seeds – 2 tsp.
- Green chilies (optional) – 1, cut into medium pieces.
- Salt – to taste
- Drain the water and grind the urad dal in a blender into a fine batter.
- To the ground urad dal add dill, cilantro, cumin seeds, onion and salt. Mix well.
- greased tray/ steel plate and put the urad dal mixture into it.
- Steam for 20 minutes.
- Let the steamed kadubu cool, cut into small square/ diamond shapes
The above mixture could be deep fried too. Dropped into heated oil in small round balls.
Serve as a snack with a mint chutney.