What’s Leaf Lard?
Leaf lard is rendered (by roasting at a very low temperature) the leaf fat of a hog. The leaf fat comes from inside the body cavity of the hog whereas the normal lard comes from the fat just under the skin. It has substantially different properties from the normal lard so don’t try to use them interchangeably.
Consider ordering the leaf fat along with your hog order this year from Jubilee Farm. This is the stuff that made grandma’s (maybe great grandma’s) pie crusts so tender, flaky and tasty. It is quite special so parcel it out with care.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
To make the pie crust:
- 1 C of very cold leaf lard, cut into small chunks (you can use 1/2 butter and 1/2 leaf lard if you’d like)
- 2 C flour
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt, add 1 tsp. of paprika for a savory crust
Use a pastry cutter or two butter knives to cut the lard into the flour until it’s the size of small peas.
In a separate bowl beat together:
- 1/4 C very cold water
- 1 T. vinegar
- 1 egg yolk
Add to the dry ingredients.
- Quickly cut in the liquid making sure everything sticks together.
- Place the dough ball in a plastic bag and place in the freezer for 30 minutes
Using parchment paper, roll out the dough into two 9″ circles.
When you’re rolling out the dough, work quickly so as not to warm it up. The secret to a flaky crust is to not liquify the fat.
Turn these into your favorite pie pans.
The Filling for One, 9″ pie:
- Chiffonade 2-3 bunches of greens…chard, collards, beet greens (an especially cherished commodity)
- Braise the greens.
- Drain off any remaining liquid.
- 1/2 C crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 lb cooked bacon cut into small pieces
- 6 lightly beaten eggs (one should remove the shells)
In the 450 degree preheated oven, place the pie on a cookie tray. Turn the heat down to 415 degrees. Cook for 20 min. If it looks like the crust is beginning to brown too quickly, place a crust protector on the pie or foil over the pie. Bake another 20 min. If it feels set in the center, pull it out. If it feels a bit soft, give it another 5 min.
You can freeze the other pie crust for a future meal OR Double the filling for twice as much fun right now!