Garnish Maureen’s Green Gazpacho with these fried garlic scapes!
Garlic Scape Infused Oil
In a heavy cast iron pan
- Pour in 3-4 cups of cooking olive oil.
- Place your scapes in the pot. As they cook they will relax into the oil.
- Bring to a simmer so bubbles are just beginning to form.
- Turn down the temp to hold it just below the bubble stage.
- Cook for 45 min. The scapes will eventually turn a light brown. Be careful not to burn your oil.
- Don’t let the oil get above 375 degrees.
- Once the scapes are crunchy and the oil has a delightfully garlic aroma, remove the scapes and cool.
- After the oil has cooled, store it in a glass jar in the refrigerator. Use for salad dressing, drizzles on top of soups or for sautéing.
The scapes are just fun to eat, put on top of a bowl of soup or chopped on top of a salad.