Use it on sandwiches, alongside meat or fish dishes or stirred into rice for a cold salad.
Jubilee Farm Style
- 1 head cabbage (green or red) shredded
- 2 onions –diced
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup vinegar-something bright like cider vinegar works great
- ½ cup marmalade
Or in place of the marmalade:
- Orange zest from 3 oranges plus
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 Tb mustard (Dijon, old fashioned with the whole grain, honey mustard…whatever you can find in the fridge)
- 3-4 apples-cored and diced
½ -3/4 cup of dried fruit (craisins, raisins, dried cherries, apricots…you get the idea)
- 1 roasted long hot pepper-skins and seeds removed-diced
- 2-3 tomatoes-diced
- Pinch or two of tumeric
Put everything in a heavy non-reactive pot, bring it up to boiling then turn it down to simmer for about ½ hour.
Cool and store in a jar in your refrigerator. It will keep for several weeks.