College Cooking Tips
These make a great lunch.
- Cook the night before and store in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next morning cut it into squares, just the right size for lunch.
- You can eat it with your fingers when it’s cold. Remember, eggs need to be kept cool.
- Be sure to wash your hands before and after handling raw eggs.
- Be sure to use separate plates for raw eggs and cooked eggs.
- Clean and disinfect counters to remove bacteria from raw eggs.
Cheesy Egg Squares
Heat oven to 350 degrees
In a large bowl:
Crack open 1 dozen eggs
Read the side column notes about cooking safely with raw eggs.
Beat the eggs with a wire whip
- 1 pint cottage cheese
- 3 cups shredded cheese - cheddar or pepper jack
- 1 pinch nutmeg (Look up “pinch” on Measurements and Cooking Terms.)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup white flour
Stir mixture together.
If you're including the option below, add the cooled braised greens to the egg-cheese mixture and stir until combined.
Pour into a greased 9x13 pan
Bake for 45 minutes, or until done. (Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the casserole. It’s ready if the toothpick comes out clean.)
Allow the Cheesy Eggs to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving
An option with increased nutrition and more filling:
- Wash 2 lbs. of braising greens – (see How to Wash & Store Greens)
- Chop the greens in a chiffonade style - (see How To Chiffonade Greens)
- Place this pile of greens in a big bowl until ready to cook.
In a large pan sauté:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic-minced
- 1 onion finely diced
Sauté until the onions are soft.
Add the pile of greens on top of the sautéed onion mixture.
Place a cover over the greens. The lid may not fit at first, but it will cook down.
After 3 minutes uncover the greens and use two cooking spoons to gently turn the greens and mix them up with the onion-olive oil mixture.
Cover for 4 more minutes and check to see if it’s done. (This will depend on the type of greens in the braising mix) You may need to add ¼ cup of water.
Once the greens are cooked, remove from heat, remove lid and allow the greens to cool.