Cascading Kitchen Notes
Method: can be applied to any recipe.
Without wanting to be food snobby, mouth feel is important. Cutting the celery stalk on a long oblique angle reduces the string effect to which many object. You end up with an entirely different looking veggie; not the normal chunks or slices of celery that are hard to grab with a fork when you serve a raw salad.
The idea of combining the celery with hot pepper came from another recipe. The sweet flavor of farm grown, heirloom celery makes all the difference against the hot spicy flavor of any raw pepper.
Farm Celery Salad with Curried Chicken
with a fennel option
The inspiration for this recipe came from several in the 6 Seasons cookbook.
Prepare the Dressing
Use your craisins/rice vinegar concoction and sprinkle a few soaked craisins on top of the salad before serving.
- 3 Tbs of craisin vinegar
- 1 cup oil (we use olive oil)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Ample fresh grating of black pepper
Prepare the Curried Chicken
This Celery Salad is great even withOUT the chicken, but its addition turns the salad into a full meal.
- 1 lb. of cooked, chopped chicken
- ½ purple onion-minced
- 1 can of whole water chestnuts-minced (optional)
- 2-3 Tbs curry powder
- 1 cup full-fat yogurt (or ½ mayo and ½ yogurt)
Option: Add table grapes (slice large ones in half), or craisins soaked in vinegar.
Assembling the salad in a large bowl:
- Slice 1 head of celery stalks on a long oblique angle.
Immediately sprinkle with ½ tsp sea salt to macerate the celery.
- Mince up ½ cup of celery leaves
Save the rest of the celery leaves to make an amazing soup/sauce resource for the winter.
- ½ purple onion-sliced thin in rings and soaked in a bit of craisin vinegar before serving to soften the bite of onion.
- 1 hot pepper-minced (keep the seeds if you really want some heat)
- 2 apples-chopped with skin on
- Taste and correct the salt and pepper and there may be a need for some more vinegar.
- ½ cup sunflower seeds to top the salad once it is tossed together with the dressing
Plate the prepared celery salad and place 1 cup of curried chicken salad on top.
If you have a fennel bulb-shave in thin slices and add to the salad.