Cascading Kitchen Notes
Our family has inherited a large wooden bowl used exclusively for Caesar Salad. The interior of the bowl must be rubbed with smashed garlic prior to assembly of the salad. Come on, traditions are important!
Simple Caesar Salad Dressing
from Mimi's Kitchen
In a food processor:
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 egg (prepared as in sidebar)
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 anchovies
Process until smooth
- 1/3 cup of olive oil while the processor if going until it forms an emulsion.
Don’t over blend!
Note the absence of salt. That can be added depending on the ingredients of the final salad. The anchovies bring some saltiness to the dressing.
Use freshly cracked black pepper once the salad has been plated.
Caesar salad dressing
…with a few more ingredients.
From the Irish Homeplace.
In a blender until smooth:
- 2 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 small oblong can of anchovies (I use the ones with capers rolled into the center)
- 1 Tb Worcestershire sauce
- 5 Tb red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 eggs- par-boiled
- 3 Tb fresh lemon juice
Slowly add while pulsing the blender (so you don’t burn the oil)
- 1 cup of olive oil.
Store in a glass jar in the fridge until you’re ready to serve the salad.
Assembly of the Caesar salad:
- Wash, spin dry and chill 2 heads of romaine lettuce.
- Place the chilled romaine in a large bowl torn into 2inch pieces.
- Toss with 1 cup of dressing.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese on top.
- Top with 3 cups of homemade croutons. Really-these make all the difference
When using eggs in salad dressing,
ALWAYS par-boil them for 2 min. in boiling water to lessen the possibility of salmonella poisoning.
- Put the eggs in a small pot, cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil. Cook 2 min.
- Remove immediately and run under cold water.
- Cut them in half with a knife over the blender so you don’t lose any of the egg.
- Use a spoon to get all the egg.