Cascading Kitchen Notes
Julienned Beets and Nut Butter Salad
Topped with apricots(dried or fresh-or other dried fruit on hand)
- 1-2 lbs of raw beets-peeled and julienned (works with any color beet)
Toss beets with 1 cup simple vinaigrette: (add 2 Tbs maple syrup or sugar to the vinaigrette)
Set aside to marinate.
Prepare apricots and herbs
- 1 cup fresh or dried apricots-cut into thin slices to match the julienne shape. You can use dried craisins or dried blueberries as well. If you’re using dried fruit, soak it in a small amount of the vinaigrette while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Mince fresh herbs like: mint and parsley or a combination of chives and fresh herbs (Use minced purple onion if it’s winter time.)
Make nut/seed butter:
In a food processor, run until smooth
- 2 cups of your choice of fresh nuts or seeds (almonds, peanuts, walnuts or pumpkin seeds-shelled of course!)
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 clove garlic
Once the mixture is smooth, pulse in
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Thin with a small about of water if it looks too thick (start with ¼ cup)
Don’t over process it once you’ve added the oil or you could burn it and make it taste rancid.
Taste it and see if it needs more salt or tang.
Assemble the salad:
In a large, very shallow bowl spread 2 cups of nut or seed butter on the bottom of the bowl.
Top with the beets (already dressed in vinaigrette)
Next sprinkle freshly minced herbs and/or chives on top of beets
Top with apricot slices
Serve by using a large spoon to scoop to the bottom and get the nut butter with the veggies.
Sprinkle feta or goat cheese on salad once it has been plated.