This is street food from West Bengal. Street food….mmmm, you know it’s going to be great!
- Beetroot- 4, grated.
- Carrot- 2, grated.
- Potato- 2, boiled and mashed.
- Green chili- 1, fine paste.
- Green peas- 1 cup
- Peanut- 1/2 cup, crushed coarsely.
- dry coconut – 1 tsp
- Salt – taste
- Oil- 1 tbsp.
- Cilantro – handful, finely chopped.
- bread crumbs – 2 cups
- All purpose flour/ cornstarch – 2 tbsp.
- water – 1 cup
For shallow frying:
- Oil – 3 tbsp.
Dry roast the below ingredients till you get an aroma. When they cool, grind the spices finely.
- Cumin seeds – 1tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1tsp
- Dry red chilies – 2
- Black peppercorns – 10
- Cloves – 5
- Heat oil in a pan to medium, add green chilies sauté for a minute.
- Add peanuts, sauté till slightly brown.
- Add beetroot, carrot and peas sauté till half done.
- Add about 2 tsps. of the dry roasted and ground spices. Mix well.
- When the vegetables are cooked add mashed potato, dry coconut, salt and cilantro mix well.
- make them into small patties and set aside.
- mix water and all-purpose flour/corn starch in a bowl.
- put bread crumbs in a small tray or plate.
- Dip each patty into the flour mixture and then into breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a pan to medium.
- Shallow fry the patties until golden brown.
Back to The Cascading Kitchen
Serve with mint chutney or ketchup.