Make it a meal by serving it with grilled chicken or fish.
Beet Candy & Apple Salad
You can serve the beets raw: julienned or spiralized
Make Beet Candy
- Peel beets
- Cut in half and then cut the 2 spheres into slabs a shy 3/8 inch thick
- Then cut the slabs into sticks and then into cubes.
- Toss in 3 Tbs of olive oil and spread out on a metal tray.
- Bake in the oven at 425 degrees for 10-15 min. (time will vary per oven and whether or not you have a convection oven) Note: if you have a convection fan-use it when roasting veggies…like now.
- Don’t stir them while they bake. You want the bottom side to get a bit caramelized. Not burned. Once cooked remove from the oven and cool until ready to dress the salad.
These are fun little beet-candy bits for kids to nibble on at any time!
Thinly slice a nice tart fall apple with the peel on.
Directions to “Sugar” 2 cups of walnuts
Using a cast iron pan on med heat, slowly cook
- 2 cups of chopped walnuts
- ¾ cup sugar
I use a wooden spoon, stirring constantly until the sugar turns to liquid.
Pour out on a metal tray to cool. (Guard closely against casual kitchen passersby)
Assemble the salad on each plate
- Greens (any combination of lettuce, kale, Asian greens)
- Arrange 6-8 slices of apple
- Add 8-10 roasted beet cubes
- Sprinkle 2 Tb sugared walnuts over the top
- Add 1 Tb crumbled blue cheese or montrachet-fresh goat cheese
- Drizzle maple vinaigrette over the top right before serving