Make it a meal by serving it with grilled chicken or fish.
Beet Candy & Apple Salad
You can serve the beets raw: julienned or spiralized
Roast beet cubes so the sides will be a bit caramelized. Cool.
Use a tart fall apple-sliced with peel on.
Directions to “Sugar” 2 cups of walnuts
Using a cast iron pan on med heat, slowly cook
- 2 cups of chopped walnuts
- ¾ cup sugar
I use a wooden spoon, stirring constantly until the sugar turns to liquid.
Pour out on a metal tray to cool. (Guard closely against casual kitchen passersby)
Assemble the salad on each plate
- Greens (any combination of lettuce, kale, Asian greens)
- Arrange 6-8 slices of apple
- Add 8-10 roasted beet cubes
- Sprinkle 2 Tb sugared walnuts over the top
- Add 1 Tb crumbled blue cheese or montrachet-fresh goat cheese
- Drizzle maple vinaigrette over the top right before serving