Asian Picnic Salad
First, the Ginger Sauce
- 1/3 c rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 c soy sauce or tamar
- 1/3 c light neutral oil
- 1/3 c sesame oil
- 3 Tb honey
- 2-3 Tb freshly grated ginger
- 1 clove minced garlic
In addition to using this as a salad dressing you can serve this lovely sauce over grilled meats, fish, cooked grains, veggies or noodles.
Next, The Salad
- Cook 1 package of soba noodles (or your choice of spaghetti type noodle)
- Ribbon cut (chiffonade) fresh greens, use any combination (tops of young turnips, kale, beet greens, finely cut collards, or Swiss chard. This week we’re using the Asian Greens mix.
- If you have scapes or onion tops, slice them lengthwise in several strips so the greens portion looks like thin ribbons and then cross cut into 3 inch lengths.
- Toss noodles, greens and onions with the Ginger Sauce. Let the flavors meld together for ½ hour or so before serving.
Top the salad with any combination of:
- toasted sesame seeds
- sliced almonds
- slivered water chestnuts
- Diced, cooked chicken will make it the center of the meal.